Friday, April 3, 2009

You don't need to live in the same state as your favorite teams!

While watching the Siena vs. Ohio State NCAA tournament game March 20 at happy hour in Mt. Adams Pavilion, I came across a sports topic that absolutely needs to be addressed.

As the Buckeyes mounted a small lead over the Saints in the second half, there was a woman standing near me talking smack about OSU winning. I, as usual, had to talk back, defending Sienna as if they were my favorite team.

(I will be the first to admit I’m an anti-Ohio State fan. I root for any team the Buckeyes play, regardless of the sport.)

When I opposed said-women, she started yelling at me is if I was crazy for not loving Ohio State.

“What state are you in?” she repeatedly screamed toward me.

I, having been through this argument several hundred times previously, immediately lied to her and said “I’m from Kentucky,” just to see how’d she react. (I reside in Ohio.)

“Go back to where you came from,” she angrily responded.

Essentially, the gist of her argument was all Ohioans should root and cheer for Ohio State.

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

If I wanted to take this ridiculous argument to another level, I could’ve asked her “What city are you in?” to imply she’s stupid for cheering for a college basketball team other than Xavier or UC
.
The geographical argument needs to stop!

People, we are not bound by maps when deciding which sports teams we pledge our allegiance to.

There is nothing wrong rooting for hometown teams. It’s the norm and it makes sense because the hometown squad is the most accessible and easiest to follow, but that doesn’t mean it should be a requirement.

If I’m supposed to like Ohio State because I live in Ohio, doesn’t this also mean I’m also supposed to like the Cleveland Browns and Indians? Do I have to cheer for the Toledo Rockets and Akron Zips? Absolutely not.

Yes, I root for hometown teams – such as UC (I’m a Bearcat alum), the Reds and Bengals.

But, I also like University of Miami (Fla.) football, the Phoenix Suns of the NBA and the Detroit Red Wings of the NHL – none of these teams have anything to do with proximity.

Geography should not be the end-all factor when selecting your favorite sports teams.

If you only root for hometown teams, that’s your choice. Just don’t judge those who think outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment